The Vision Loss Expert Group is an international group of mainly ophthalmologists and optometrists with experience in ophthalmic epidemiology. While external to the World Health Organisation, the group was convened to assist the Global Burden of Disease Study with the goal of providing global technical leadership in the development and improvement of epidemiological estimates for blindness and vision impairment. This work has also assisted the WHO in recent outputs on DALYs attributable to vision loss.
The VLEG is guided by a small group of ‘core’ members from the institutions listed below with larger ad hoc working groups addressing specific issues.
- Vision & Eye Research Unit, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
- Department of Ophthalmology, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Mannheim,
- L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
- Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, USA
- African Vision Research Institute, University of Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa
- NHMRC Centre for Clinical Eye Research, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore
- Brien Holden Vision Institute, Sydney, Australia
- Melbourne School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Australia